Sunday, February 7, 2010

E Bishop & Epiphanies

I'm frustrated that the library does not have any of the articles I would like to read accessible online.
Here are the url's if anyone is interested and knows how to access them:
"Pater's Epiphanies and the Open Form" by Jay B. Losey
http://www.jstor.org/pss/3189653

"The Purpose and Permanence of the Joycean Epiphany" by David Hayman
http://www.jstor.org/pss/25473944

"From Pater to Wilde to Joyce: Modernist Epiphany and the Soulful Self" by John McGowan
(lost url sorry)
Also, this might be an interesting read:

I was, however, able to access an article by Martin Bidney that deals with Elizabeth Bishop and epiphanies.

I'm not sure I entirely understand Bidney's technique in studying the epiphany, but I do like his contention that "each epiphany maker establishes a uniquely individual recurrent pattern that correlates with a personal configuration of psychological concerns, fears, and desires. In creating epiphanies . . . one becomes most intensely who one is."

2 comments: