Sunday, February 7, 2010

Books I couldn't put down



I think it was in 5th grade that I discovered a certain zeal for The Hobbit. I couldn't put it down! And then I read it again and possibly a third time. I had a similar experience with Matilda (but for very different reasons.) The Hobbit mesmerized me by inciting my imagination. I could so clearly see Bilbo and his little house in a small little hillock in a very perfectly green valley. I remember seeing the roundness of his house and the roundness of his door; and, of course, the movie disappointed me because that is NOT at all how Bilbo's abode should have looked.



Matilda. Unfortunately, I don't remember my version of Matilda because the movie seems to have bumped her out of my head. That's sad! Hmm. I know i know i know i know this is almost always the case, but the book is FAR better than the movie version. In fact, I loathe the movie in comparison to the novel.
Matilda mesmerizes me because of the way she can apply her mind. Don't think I'm too crazy, but I do think the mind is extremely powerful if we allow it to be. I'm not saying that I, myself, can tip over a glass of water with my mind, I'm just saying I don't think we have learned to use our minds to the full extent. Ok you can call me crazy.
I liked Matilda because of her precocious manner and for the fact that she would spend so much time in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment