Sunday, January 24, 2010

the hardy boys


Yes, I read them. All of them.

I remember one day reading one of those mysteries and happening upon the word 'chaos.' I was in the car on the way to violin lessons with my mom and my sister. I said the word aloud. Ciao-s. Like goodbye in Italian with an ess tacked on to the end. Like house, but ch-ow-se.
"Spell it," my mom said.
"c-h-a-o-s."
"Kay-oss," my mom laughed.

I went home after violin and looked up 'chaos' in our dictionary. I had heard the word a million times in spoken language, but I had never seen it on the page. The lightbulb went on.

I was talking to Abby the other day about learning new words. I remember being able to broaden my vocabulary when I was younger without nearly as much effort as I must put in at my age now. Why is that? Regardless, it's frustrating. I can look up a word here and there and yet, still, I can forget it. But when I looked up words when I was younger, they stuck, and I didn't have to look them up multiple times.

3 comments:

  1. My first encounter with Chaos was from the old T.V. show Get Smart, about the secret agent the nemesis in the series were the "agents of Chaos".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very similar! Chaos is such a wild word, esp. to a child because it breaks a lot of the phonetical rules one learns in primary.

    ReplyDelete